Thursday, January 8, 2015

Cowabunga!

So, I was at work today and something really made me feel good and made me remember my childhood.

Let me start from the beginning. Today was cold. Like, "Holy crap, I'm from Florida, we don't have this kind of cold" cold. So, I opted to wear an extra layer under my work clothes. This included my pajama pants, which happen to have the original cartoon Ninja Turtles and logo all over them. Yeah, I'm that cool.

Early in the morning, my bosses and coworkers were laughing because I mentioned it and showed it on my pant leg. They know I'm a geek, but I always seem to amaze them at how far the rabbit hole really goes.

Later on in the day, a woman came in with her son to shop around. Her son had to be no more than four of five years old; tiny, adorable, wearing huge thick rimmed blue glasses, and was donning a jacket that was too big for him. This jacket was in the appearance of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle torso and shell.

I passed this kid and his mother and greeted them as I would any normal customer, and proceeded to look down at him and say "Hi! Nice jacket!" He smiled a big grin, missing a couple teeth. His mother explained TMNT was his favorite thing ever, and he doesn't go anywhere without his jacket.

Amused, I leaned down and said "Who's your favorite turtle? Mine's Donny." He smiled again and said "Leonardo!" Big blue glasses, got it.

"Leonardo?! He's the leader! Here, let me show you how big of a fan I am!"

I crouched down to his level, and rolled up the bottom of my pant leg just slightly, explaining how cold it was today and the need for an extra layer. He looked and his look of curiosity turned it to the biggest grin I had ever seen. He laughed and looked up at me and told me that was so cool. He was thoroughly amazed and happy. He spent the rest of the time, albeit short, in the store glancing over at me before they left.

This is why I am the way I am: The little things in life. I made that kid's day and I bet he's going to beg his mom for TMNT pajama pants now.

I like to think I'd make a good father one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment